Mga Pahina

August 18, 2013

Truly, a FRIENDSHIP climb :)

                                          

MT BATULAO FRIENDSHIP CLIMB
A sequel to the successful Mt. Maculot climb last March 2012.

OBJECTIVE
To summit Mt. Batulao through the New Trail then descend through the Old Trail on a dayhike.

MT. BATULAO
Nasugbu, Batangas
Jump-off point: Evercrest Golf Course, Nasugbu
LLA: 14.0408 N 120.8011 E 811 MASL
Days required / Hours to summit: 1 day / 2-4 hours
Specs: minor climb, 4/9 difficulty, trail class 3 with 60-70 degrees assault
Features: open trails, rolling slopes, scenic views of Batangas

ITINERARY
DAY1/1 - August 17, 2013
0430 Meetup at EDSA-Taft Bus station
0500 ETD to Nasugbu via Crow Bus Lines (155 PHP)
0815 ETA Evercrest, tricycle to jumpoff (25 PHP)
0830 Start trek, kid guide (300 PHP/ guide ~ 50 PHP/ pax)
0845 ETA Fork road, take middle road
1030 ETA New trail campsite, rest and register (25 PHP)
1130 ETA Summit, lunch
1300 ETD to jump off via old trail
1400 ETA Old trail campsite, rest and register (25 PHP)
1630 ETA Evercrest, clean up
1700 ETD Tagaytay, jeepney (30 PHP)
1730 ETA Tagaytay, dinner, post climb
???? ETD Manila, bus (155 PHP)

Estimated total climb cost = 600 PHP.

NOTES
1) On a dry weather, the trail could be very dusty and hot. On a rainy weather, the trail could be very muddy. Please prepare accordingly.
2) Don't forget to waterproof your things. (e.g. Put all things inside your bag in a 'black trash' bag so they will not get wet when it will rain, place all individual non-water resistant gadgets in a Ziploc or any transparent plastic bag)

TO BRING
1. poncho
2. arm cover
3. cap/hat na di madaling liparin ng hangin
4. sunglasses (baka may "sandstorm" sa summit)
5. 1 set of extra clothes
6. trekking pole (if available)
7. trail food (peanuts, gelatin)
8. enough water (though before may mapagbilhn ng wate at softdrinksr sa Peak 8)
9. packed lunch
10. extra money
11. camera (sana madal ni CDF yung DSLR camera nya :D)
12. flashlight/head lamp (iba na ang handa)
13. whistle
14. sunblock (sa mga di gusto umitim masyado kase open yung trail)
15. sarong (pwedeng pang sun protection, pwede rin pang-cover pag umihi sa talahiban. hehehe)

             I felt excited upon reading the details of the climb. It was posted by one of the host, kuya Willes. As a beginner on mountaineering, I was one of the lucky people who got invited for the climb without spending much, no professional fee to pay :). I did some jogging (some may mean once or twice:) before the day comes and anxious about what to bring and wear. This brings me back to the memories of my first time hiking experience. I can't help to smile and even laugh of out of it. I did learned my lesson well. I will write one entry about that funny epic fail of mine next time.

               Friday came, I felt uneasy, no one will go with me on my way to Batangas. I was lucky God made use of other people to provide the answer. I was anxious about the easiest and shortest way to Batangas. I try to ask a kind driver about it but a concerned commuter overheard my "kakulitan" and told me in detail how to go there without getting so much hassle. Papa was overly worried about my adventure the following day and told me not to go because of the rain and then telling me I won't enjoy much when it rains. But yes, I am also extremely hard headed always taking risk so I prayed at church that night and went to sleep peacefully. I let my anxiousness rest on God's shoulders. Really had a good night sleep.

                Exactly 4 am when I am out of my way to the UPLB gate. I hired a tricycle for Php 20 pesos to Jollibee crosing and ride a jeepney to Calamba terminal (Php 20). I was able to follow the concerned commuter's direction and thankfully, everything he said was real. :) I ride a van to Pala pala Dasmarinas Cavite for Php 60 almost 1 hour long. From Pala pala, I ride a bus (Batman Express :) to Nasugbu Batangas (paid Php 61 for the fare). My friends were already waiting for me at Evercrest.


 After happy greetings, we move on...
     

                  The weather was meek that day. No strong gust of wind or hot ray of sun. Just a perfectly cloudy day with beautiful mountain scenery greeting us. We had an easy trek with sloppy and flat trails. Just needed to be extra careful not to fall on the double sided cliff and walk on the one way land -bridge like trail. I observed that the grasses that grows on the sides were a curtain to the "kaingin" field of the people living there. We passed by beautiful and breath taking sceneries, animals grazing and kind people. There were also many peaks.




                     After almost 3 hours, we reached the summit. We were up on the summit when the clouds joined us and greet us with its powerful wind and heavy rain. We were so shocked for a moment but eventually managed to stay calm. I pray under the wrecked poncho of mine, also trying to be calm and even opened a citrus fruit and pass around.

                   
                  At first it seems we were so unlucky to meet the rain up there but ironically, I felt at bliss. This were one of the few times when I can say that no amount of any wordly treasure can bought that splendid thing walking on the top of the mountain, inside the heavy fog (clouds) sticking my tongue out to taste the cloud and feeling the coolness of the breeze as it pass by me. The moment I step on the mountain grounds, I already trusted my life to Him. There is nothing to worry about.

                      All turns well. Everyone was shivering in cold but just like me, we felt the warmth of friendship in our hearts. Happy thins was, we had the highlights of the event as we wait for the heavy rain to subside. We had the liveliest lunch under the kubo where this picture was taken, the hardest laughed shared, the best coffee drunk (imagine how a hot cup of Kopiko or GT white coffee can sooth the bleak coldness that creeps on your body), and most especially, friendship build stronger.



                        I am thankful God blessed us with people we called friends and a dear sole life to spent worthwhile moments with people we love. That is why whatever it takes, we need to be back home happy and sound and most importantly, safe.

(More pictures to be uploaded soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment